Categories

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vintage inspired orange pie

This wonderful pie was created for Thanksgiving day in 2011, when I had a flock of young men to feed! Do I need to mention I made more than one?



 I took the inspiration for this orange pie in a recipe I found in one of my vintage knitting-crochet magazine collection. I had a warm feeling looking at this, wondering at the mysterious women who sent her recipe to the magazine all those years ago and served it to her loved ones over the years. I wanted to share this with you, as this was meant to be shared over half a century ago!


The original recipe in this magazine was for an orange pudding, but faith prevented my from finding my pan and I had to improvise quickly. In desperate measure, and as time was running fast, I decided to use the sauce recipe, modify it a bit and turn this into a pie.

Here is the sauce recipe:

Ingredients for the filling (good for one deep 9'' pie crust):
Grate rind of 3 oranges
Juice of 3 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoon cornstarch
3 eggs
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
1/2 cup of cane sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Nutmeg and cinnamon to desired taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon of each, freshly grounded)

Mix all the ingredients in a small kettle, taking care to dissolve the cornstarch completely (I mix it with about 2 tablespoon of cold water in a separate little bowl). Turn on the heat to a medium height and stir constantly until the sauce begins to show consistency. Pour the hot mixture in the crust. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 35 minutes, or until little bubbles form in the center of the tart. Let cool completely. Serve and enjoy!


Here is what this looks like, after cooking:




There is only so much pictures can say about the taste, but believe me, it was the first time I used this recipe and it wont be the last! It is not overwhelmingly sweet, the texture is light, and the fresh orange juice and grind gives it a lot of authenticity. It was also easy, fast and very economical, as is expected from a vintage ''Good Momma'' recipe! Mmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment